WineBoard
Hibiscus-marinated lamb - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Hibiscus-marinated lamb (/thread-1132.html)

- Scoop - 04-19-2000

I know it probably sounds strange, but for Easter we are doing our traditional roast leg of lamb, and my better half wants to do something different this year, like using edible flowers (dried hibiscus) as the basis for the marinade.

Since it is a different preparation from the usual garlic, rosemary, thyme and/or mustard rubs and combinations, I thought it might also call for a more creative wine selection than our usual classic Margaux or Napa Cab Sauv (we love a good Heitz Martha's Vineyard with leg of lamb). Perhaps something more exotic and slightly floral (a Cahors maybe, or a Barolo, maybe an Amarone?) to mesh with the marinade is warranted.

Any thoughts out there?

Cheers,

Scoop

P.S. BTW, we'll be serving roasted new potatoes, roasted asparagus and sauteed radiccio along with the lamb.

- hotwine - 04-19-2000

Of those you mentioned, I would prefer the Barolo. But for a floral theme, please consider the '98 Chiroubles from Georges Duboeuf, a soft, supple, very slightly floral cru Beaujolais; it can stand up to the richness of the lamb without overpowering those wonderful veggies.

- mrdutton - 04-19-2000

The 1998 Georges Duboeuf Chiroubles is, indeed, a wonderful wine. I'd second your motion there, Hotwine!

- misterjive - 04-20-2000

Also in keeping with the floral theme, what about Gattinara (to me, it has a floral quality) or Cab Franc (more fragrant than the other Bordeaux grapes)? I don't know, though, this dish to me sounds like a situation for Chianti (goes so well with lots o' lamb) or California Syrah (an odd affinity here, perhaps).

- Thomas - 04-20-2000

And just to complete the circle, a fine Pinot Noir, especially one from a cooler region (often makes it floral and cherry-like). Scoop, you are in NYC, perhaps you can find Vinifera Wine Cellars Pinot Noir, from the Finger Lakes.

Incidentally, my partner and I have applied for our license. Our new wine shop will be on East 5th between 2nd and 3rd (Bowery). Watch for July or August Grand Opening.

- Scoop - 04-20-2000

Thanks for the input everybody.

I am also big fan of the Duboeuf Chiroubles, and given its nice violet/floral qualities, it could be intriguing. Still, I'm looking for a bit more body, earthiness and structure than the very god Cru Beaujolais.

The Gattinara is a nice suggestion; I'll check out what Garnet has on offer. Barolo ("tar and roses") is what immediately came mind, but that could go too far in the other direction.

I've also been toying with Cab Franc, or at least a Bordeaux blend with a good dose of it. In an ideal world, I'd go with a mature Cheval Blanc, but that ain't happening this weekend. Perhaps a Fronsac or St. Emillion with a nice measure of Cab Franc would be a good match. Any recommendations?

Last, Foodie, good luck with the venture Downtown. I'll keep my eyes open for it. Let me know if you need any market "intelligence" in the meantime.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Scoop - 04-24-2000

In the end, I went to the Piedmont and a bottle of Bricco Manzoni '95, which is a blend of 85% Nebbiolo and 15% Barbera.

It's an elegant, nicely balanced wine with some structure, approachable but restrained, with a some of that famous Nebbiolo "tar and rose" quality. It proved a nice match for the hibiscus-infused lamb (which was, in my biased opinion, tremendous).

After we drained the Bricco, we finished off a bottle I had opened the night before, a Cannonau di Sardegna 1996 Reserva (Sella and Mosco). Cannonau is a clone of Grenache and is the source of Sardinia's best wines. A little rustic, it had nice herbal and fruity notes, and it was better than when I first opened it. Great with seconds!

Cheers,

Scoop

- Thomas - 04-24-2000

Scoop, I prepared a rack of lamb for my wife and I.

I marinated the lamb in milk and garlic for 24 hours, then brushed it with olive oil and garlic. Then I warmed some quince jelly and infused it with rosemary leaves and mint.

Cooked the lamb on high heat for a few minutes on each side--my wife and I like it rare. Then rested the lamb in our plates while I threw some chopped shallots into the pan to cook 30 seconds, deglazed the pan with Madeira, mixed in the melted quince jelly with mint and rosemary, cooked down a few seconds, and poured the sauce over the lamb, sprinkled it all with ground black pepper.

Served with garlic and olive oil brushed and roasted potatoes plus butter/lemon snap peas.

Bogle Syrah did rather nicely with the lamb and potatoes; had to eat the snap peas separately, with a little Madeira.

- Scoop - 04-24-2000

Well, Foodie, now my mouth is watering. Good thing we've got leftover leg of lamb for tonight!

Cheers,

Scoop

- Thomas - 04-25-2000

I forgot: a dash of lite soy sauce while the sauce cooked down.

Re, leftovers: lucky you. How was it?

The only thing left over when my wife and I dine is, according to my wife, too many pots. We have an arrangement: I cook, she does dishes.

- Jason - 04-25-2000

Floral red to serve with lamb? No one mentioned the classic and obvious - Cote Rotie. Full bodied Syrah with a legal splash of viognier for interest.