WineBoard
German Wine Class/Tasting - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: German Wine Class/Tasting (/thread-11104.html)

- barnesy - 10-19-2001

Went to a German wine class/tasting Wednesday. $20 for 9 wines. The class was lead by the importer of the wines, Ewald Moseler (www.moseler.com). He is a local importer who was born in the middle Mosel and exclusively imports German Wines into the Portland Metro area. He believes in importing wines that are well and naturally made and of high quality. He won't import something just because he thinks he can sell it, only what he believes in.

1999 Schmittges Rivaner QbA (Mosel) This is a Muller-Thurgau. Pale, nearly water like color. Dry and very crisp and clean. 11.5% alc. $10

1999 Juliusspital Muller-Thurgau Kabinett Wurzburfer Stein (Franken) From a very old estate, est.-1576. Pale yellow color, floral nose with a slatey palate. Medium bodied. 11% alc. $17 (First non Oregon M-T I have had(along with the above one), and the only one that I liked)

2000 Selbach Riesling Classic (Mosel) "Classic" is a new marketing term used to avoid having to use "halbtrocken" which has become a less popular term. Pale color. Floral nose. Good steely acid $10

2000 Selbach-Oster Riesling - Estate Kabinett (Mosel) Pale yellow. Reserved nose with lemony, zingy acid. 8% alc. $14

1998 Villa Wolf Rielsing Kabinnet (Pfalz) This is normally a QbA wine, but they had run out when Moseler showed up to buy more so they bottled some of the Kabinett wine, at the QbA price, under the Villa Wolf name with Kabinett in very small letters. Pale yellow. Soft, floral and minerally on the nose and the palate. Good acid with a medium-long finish. $10

1999 Dr Wagner Riesling QbA Ockfener Bockstein (Saar) Pale. Minerally nose and palate. Strong acid, medium body. 8.5% alc. $11

1999 Pazen Riesling Spatlese Zeltinger Himmelreich (Mosel) This was Moseler's neighbor when he was growing up. Pazen produces about 300 cases, most of which Moseler sells in Oregon. Very pale, almost no yellow. Minerally nose, same on the palate with strong acid. Medium body. 8.5% alc. $14

1999 Prince von Hessen Riesling Spatlese Johannisberger Klause (Rheingau) Minerally with brown sugar and apricots on the nose. Same on the Palate. Solid acid. Medium-full bodied $18

2000 Tesch Riesling Auslese Langenlonsheimer Lohrer Berg (Nahe) Clean and beautiful nose of honey, apricots and floral notes. Same on the palate with a long, elegant acidic finish. 6% res. sugar 7.5% alc. $26

Overall, a very informative event with exceptional wines and a great wine personality. This is the kind of guy you like to support.

Barnesy

- Innkeeper - 10-19-2001

A few of these sound veeeeery innnnnteresting.

- hotwine - 10-19-2001

Yeah, ditto. Good notes.

- Bucko - 10-19-2001

Selbach-Oster is a favorite of ours.....

- barnesy - 10-20-2001

He had a limited amount of selbach oster cases made...12 spatlese bottles, 2 each from 6 different vineyards from the 99 vintage...at 180....

Very tempting....., but If I had brought home another case of wine (just bought one last weekend, mostly germany and alsace) I would be drinking them through a straw because my wife would have beat the tar out of me.

Barnesy