WineBoard
Disappointing - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Champagne/Sparkling Wine (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: Disappointing (/thread-10865.html)

- hotwine - 01-02-2001

After hosting the extended family for Christmas dinner, we celebrated the New Year as a couple, and limited our Champagne comsumption to two half-bottles of Veuve Clicquot NV Yellow Label. Had purchased these for the 2000 celebration a year ago, so they were left-overs. Big mistake! The one we had New Year's Eve was dead, with few bubbles and a taste resembling mediocre lemonade. The one we had last night was livelier, but still lacking in depth of flavor and with a very short finish. We've had these little halfies before, and they were better than this. Don't know if the poor cellar is to blame, or if they were in this state when purchased, but I won't buy any more in the forseeable future.
(Full bottles in the cellar are still holding well.)

- Bucko - 01-02-2001

Veuve Clicquot has taken a dive in quality. Don't know why. We stick with Pol Roger Brut or Lanson Brut as the "house" wines.

Bucko

- Botafogo - 01-02-2001

Bucko, you DO know why! They have been aquired by LMVH and gutted like a fish. We have discussed this ad nauseum here as recently as last week. It is a shame and I truly believe that if the Widow Clicquot were alive today she would kill all the bastards with a pitchfork. AND, it looks like Krug is next on the block......

Cheers, Roberto

PS:we enjoyed a bottle of 1985 Salon and a Magnum of Guy Larmandier Cramant Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs with a tasting of 18 different BACONS (courtesy of the Grateful Palate) for New Year's brunch yesterday. NO dissapointments.......

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 01-02-2001).]

- Bucko - 01-02-2001

What's the story on Krug?

- Botafogo - 01-02-2001

They have also been bought by LMVH. I suggest every Krugiste send a letter to Remi and Henri telling them "The Whole World is watching!"...

Roberto

- cpurvis - 01-03-2001

Tch!Tch! HW, surely you've been around this Board long enough to know not to lob a big Veuve Clic-taco up for Roberto to take deep over the left field fence! Or, perhaps you look forward to his diatribes ;-)

- hotwine - 01-03-2001

Roberto, I thought you were headed to Brazil, to gaze at your girfriend.....

- Botafogo - 01-03-2001

Just what is it that drives those who carry the water of these diluted "brands"? Two people post notes on the obvious (Veuve ain't what it used to be), I point out some of the background and alert folks to the next mark and it is a "diatribe"??? No one would argue that A&W Root Beer is the same as it was when we were kids so why is this so hard to admit?

As to Brasil, nine days and counting....and I intend to do much more than gaze, Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 01-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 01-03-2001).]

- Bucko - 01-03-2001

Okay, I just pulled down the Webster's dictionary and looked up Roberto -- it said to see diatribe. ;-)

AFA Brazil, would that be four legs or two? =:O

Have fun guy!

Bucko

- hotwine - 01-03-2001

CP, we all need an easy one to take downtown now and then.

I hadn't noticed the decline in Veuve until fairly recently, but certainly see it now. Just wish I had more options in this area. Have started gifting the remaining Veuve and will replace it in the cellar with Pol Roger. Thanks for your heads-up, Roberto.

That's gotta seem like a loooong nine days!

- Thomas - 01-03-2001

Always nice to be ahead of the curve: I have been touting Pol for years.

Roberto, that valet offer stands; I'll even inspect the "legs" for you if you want.

- chittychattykathy - 01-04-2001

That Guy Larmandier Cramant Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs is worth finding. Have a few left from a wine re-set "disco" bin, what a great shopping day that was.

- Botafogo - 01-04-2001

CCK, that Larmandier is one of my personal favorites, we stock everything he makes and it always makes out point when we get someone to take that instead of some industrial fizz. I even did a wedding for a couple that the guy insisted was a byproduct of taking a bottle of the '95 on his first date!

Roberto

- cpurvis - 01-04-2001

Calma, calma Roberto! Must've been away from the girlfriend for WAY too long. Nobody here to "carry the water" for poor stuff (I know very little about champagne & enjoy/am amused by your champagne comments). You're just an easy target for some fun!

BTW, I did double-check Webster's & Bucko was right ;-)

Have a great trip! cp