WineBoard
Sparkling Sundays - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Champagne/Sparkling Wine (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: Sparkling Sundays (/thread-10856.html)

- dananne - 06-14-2009

Anne and I have the above ritual that lasts through the summer (and sometimes as long as the Atlanta weather stays hot). So far this year, we've been using up old stocks of staple stuff, like Gruet, so nothing really exciting on which to post. We did have a rather nice rose Cremant de Bourgogne up at the farm several weeks ago, but we tossed the bottle before I could post. Hopefully, I'll stumble upon it again, recognize it correctly, and have something to rec.

Anywho, tonight's "Sparkling Sunday" offering was a NV sparkling Shiraz from Hill of Content. Deeply hued garnet in the glass, with a little foamy effervescence that looks more pink. Crushed raspberries on the nose, with layers of berry fruit flavors with a hint of smoky, roasted meat, much like one would get from a still table Shiraz. A slight hint of cordial sweetness on the finish, even though it's basically a dry wine, but it has acidity that cuts across it, making it refreshing. More "fruity sweet" than "sugary sweet," if that makes sense. An interesting drink, and a nice way to spend our "Sparkling Sunday." Best as an aperitif, but could also pair with a salad with sweeter elements, such as a micro greens salad with dried cranberries, pine nuts, and a raspberry vinegarette dressing. You could also chill it down and use it for a blast of refreshment for spicy summer BBQ. Finally, it would also pair well with standard chocolate desserts, like chocolate walnut brownies. Though not as overtly sweet as a Brachetto d'Acqui, for example, it could be similarly used in a romantic setting, as it's better as a stand-alone than something sweet, like Banfi's now-ubiquitous Rosa Regale. Don't know how much it cost, as we received it as a gift, but a quick Google shows you can pick it up for $15-20, depending on your location.

I'll keep this thread open this summer for any other interesting "Sparkling Sunday" wines we enjoy.

- wondersofwine - 06-15-2009

Sounds like a tradition WW would appreciate. I bought two bottles of Bugey Cerdon sparkling rose but may save them for a church fundraiser next fall. I do have some Glenora sparkling to open.

- winoweenie - 06-15-2009

As CB loves bubblies and sometimes forgets the amount consumed I tend to shy away from them except for special holidays then I let-er rip. The fizzy Shiraz sounds interesting. Will see iff'n me peddler can get the sucker. WW

- wdonovan - 07-01-2009

Nice tradition. Our twist.... For the summer season we have shelved the French sparklers (especially everything serious) and have reverted to Prosecco. Drunk cooler than Champagne, it's my new "beer" in the heat.

- hotwine - 07-01-2009

We're using Prosecco the same way, for entertaining and as a sipper before supper each evening. Have bought eight cases of Botter from Costco so far this year with only two cases left in the cellar.... critical mass! It's on my shopping list for today. Having turned friends on to it, they keep cleaning out the stocks.

- wdonovan - 07-01-2009

hw, thought you said they were friends?

We had Prosecco as an aperitif in Rome last month that came with 2 small balls of mandarin orange ice in it. I have been trying to synthesize that ice ever since with varying degrees of success. The experiment is worth almost any amount of time and money if it succeeds.

- hotwine - 07-01-2009

I like that kind of long-term experiment, WD.

No Botter at Costco this morning but did pick up some 2005 Marques de Gelida Cava Brut Reserva made from Pinot Noir. Nice salmon color, should be interesting.

- Kcwhippet - 07-01-2009

Lately we've come to like sparklers with popcorn. Not just any popcorn, though. There are several toppings we like to put on after the popping is done - a drizzle of white truffle oil or freshly grated Parmesano Reggiano are two.

- dananne - 07-01-2009

Or, try soaking the kernels in fresh rosemary and oil overnight, then popping them on the stovetop in the same mixture. Yum, yum good.

You're right -- popcorn and sparklers is a wonderful combination!

- Thomas - 07-02-2009

dananne,

You just gave me a great idea for movie Saturday night. With all the rain we are having, our rosemary is as big as a redwood!

My summer drink is a cool Vinho Verde with a dash of seltzer for sparkle, and two verbana leaves per glass.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-02-2009).]

- dananne - 07-02-2009

Foodie, now you've given me an idea -- your vinho verde idea sounds like one to try!

- winoweenie - 07-02-2009

KC I love pop corn with shaved Parmy-Reggie. For a while there several years ago it was my dinner with a nice bottle of red.
Gave it up when I broke a tooth on an un-popped kernel. WW

- Thomas - 07-02-2009

Dan,

Lemon verbana--much better than a slice of the citrus.

- VouvrayHead - 07-02-2009

I'm gonna try that Rosemary popcorn idea.
I know this sounds disgusting, but it's really good: Popcorn with nutritional yeast, hot sauce, and vegan pesto sauce.

- Thomas - 07-02-2009

Not too much yeast. I hope.

I once tried to mix Brewers yeast into yogurt thinking how healthy that would be. That was over 30 years ago and I swear I can still taste it, and that ain't good. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- VouvrayHead - 07-02-2009

Just a bit. It tastes a lot like mediocre Parmesan. It would be disgusting in yogurt [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]