WineBoard
Cornbread - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Cornbread (/thread-1078.html)

- wondersofwine - 02-01-2010

Looking way ahead, I came across a recipe for cornbread that I would like to make for the next church fundraiser/wine tasting which may be next fall. But I don't know what wine to pair with cornbread or corn pudding. Has anyone tried such pairings and can make a suggestion?

- hotwine - 02-01-2010

D usually makes cornbread to accompany her beef stew. We've used various Spanish wines for that pairing (Garnacha, Tempranillo), but most recently have chosen a Perrin & Fils CdR of some sort, which works beautifully. P&F typically uses a Grenache-dominant blend with Syrah, so from that I'd say that Grenache is the common denominator. But would temper that with advice to defer to the main dish(es) with which the wine will be paired (if you have any idea, this far in advance).

Thanks for the CdR suggestion. I plan to follow the pattern I used last time and have wine stations with particular food, so I might have clam dip with Muscadet or Albarino, cornbread and ham with CdR, sauteed mushrooms with a mushroomy red Burgundy, etc.

- hotwine - 02-01-2010

(Hate it when I slobber on the keyboard....) Where can I get a ticket?

- hotwine - 02-01-2010

Have been thinking, thinking.... (dangerous!)

Since you'll be pairing ham with the cornbread, you might offer a Rosso di Montalcino. The CdR would be easier to find, but RdM can be a real winner with ham. It's a different wine, with a totally different flavor profile, but it's truly wonderful stuff.

D's fixing minestrone at the moment, and has invited our best friends to join us, so will probably break out the RdM for them (the soup contains pancetta, so there's the ham connection).

Admission to event--$15 per person
Flight to Fayetteville--priceless

I can find Rosso di Montalcino in Raleigh area if not in Fayetteville. I usually start gathering the wines some weeks before the actual event.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 02-01-2010).]

- hotwine - 02-01-2010

Haven't flown into F'ville in a long time. Seems like Piedmont Airlines was the only carrier to serve it back in the 60's, and that was only available from Atlanta via Raleigh (on twin-engine prop jobs). Hope you have good choices now.

- winoweenie - 02-01-2010

Back in my growing-up days in Shawnee, Ok the pairing I loved most with corn-bread was BUTTER-MILK!!!!!ww

- hotwine - 02-02-2010

The RdM last night was superb! 2007 Il Poggione (Proprietá Franceschi) Rosso di Montalcino, reported on earlier; preceded by NV Cordonui Cava from Pinot Noir. The minestrone was excellent, the company equally so (former chief of the Texas Rangers and his better half, neighbors only a few miles away, members of our church and Sunday School class and small group that meets on alternate Sunday evenings, for which I provide the juice; wonderful people). Love these impromptu sit-down chow-downs!

- wondersofwine - 02-03-2010

Fayetteville, NC is served by connector flights for Delta and US Airways. I did fly out of Fayetteville at Christmas time going through Atlanta and on to Des Moines. Usually the flights out of Raleigh are cheaper but I now check out both possibilities.