WineBoard
New Year's - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Champagne/Sparkling Wine (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: New Year's (/thread-10738.html)

- andypandy - 12-31-2005

Just curious as to what everyone's going to be opening up tonight. What's the bottle to span the years?

- robr - 12-31-2005

Domaine Chandon Blanc de Noirs bubby, made from Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier, and Chardonnay, 12% alc.

Never tried it before, but it was on sale, and the last one on the shelf!

- hotwine - 12-31-2005

I've been planning on a Roederer Brut Premier, but noticed in Costco yesterday that they're offering one with their own Kirkland label. Fine print on the bottom of the label says it's "produced by M Jannison Verzenay France" and "4000 cases made". Back label says it's a blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier and is from Sezzane. Freight is $20. Will probably give it a try tonight but chill the Roederer as back-up.

- Kcwhippet - 12-31-2005

Well, we're starting later with a 1990 PJ Fleur de Champagne, then a 1997 Willakenzie Blanc de Blanc and if the four of us are still awake, a plain old NV Taittinger Brut. We're doing an 18 year old Talisker right now to begin the evening.

- robr - 12-31-2005

Domaine Chandon Blanc de Noirs

Didn't like it at first -- not a big Champagne-type sparkling wines fan anyway, but as it warms up the fruit flavors start coming out. Not bad!

- barnesy - 01-03-2006

I had two bottles since I had two parties to go to.
The first was Lucien Albrect Cremant d'Alsace. Its 100% pinot blanc (I believe). Larger bubbles, nice fruity nose and big and aggressive on the palate. All fruit all the way. Enjoyable at $14.

The second was the complete opposite.
Jeio Proseco. Tiny bubbles with a nice straight line. Soft slightly creamy/peachy nose. Very delicate on the palate with slight fruit balanced with a bit of biscuity yeastiness. Exceptionally tastey at $14.

Barnesy

- wondersofwine - 01-03-2006

I stayed with the tradition of the past few years and had Cockburn's Ten-Year Tawny Port which I will finish off sometime this week.

- hotwine - 01-03-2006

We went with the Kirkland label but found it had an unpleasant aftertaste. Stayed with it anyway because she didn't want me to open a second bottle. Set the Kirkland in the fridge after only one glass each and tried it again last night.... big difference! Most of the PN and PM influences had dissipated, allowing the Chardonnay grape to dominate. Mousse was still lively.

Much prefer the Taittinger so probably won't buy the Kirkland again.

- robr - 01-03-2006

Many years ago I got to spend one short day in Napa valley. The last place we went to was Tattinger. I remember being tired of tasting wine, and not really ready to try another, but that was the most delicious bubbly I have ever had.

- TheEngineer - 01-03-2006

I had wanted to open a Delamotte, but everyone around me had gone to be just before the 12:00.....I had no one to toast.....crazy when you get older New Years just does not justify needing to stay up. A hockey game...now that's serious.... bah...