WineBoard
A Simple Meal........ - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: A Simple Meal........ (/thread-1068.html)

- mrdutton - 08-17-2001

Maybe this should also be part RANT..... but can you imagine my chagrin when I went to the local grocery store and could not find any shallots nor any green onions!! And here I was all set to make the killer sauce for my pan seared scallops.

So, I improvised.......

Diced onion
Diced green pepper
Diced red pepper
Minced clove of garlic
Diced tomato
Sea salt
Olive oil
Butter

Sea scallops (or even better cold water day scallops if you can find them)

Creme fraiche
White Wine

String beans

Saute minced garlic, onion, green pepper, red pepper in olive oil/butter mixture over medium heat until translucent. Add tomatoes. Simmer until almost dry. Deglaze with white wine.

Meanwhile in another saute pan preheated with olive oil and butter over a medium high heat, add about a half-pound of sea scallops to the hot oil mixture.

About the same time, start steaming the green beans until they are "al dente"; adjust seasoning as might be required.

Reduce heat and add a couple tablespoons of creme fraiche to the onion, pepper, tomato reduction.

Place the seared scallops on a plate with paper towels to absorb the oil.

Take the reduction off the heat and add a couple of generous patties of cold butter, whisking rapidly to incorporate; adjust seasoning as might be required.

Plate by saucing a part of the plate, place the scallops on top of the sauce and then cover them with the remaining sauce. Then spoon on the green beans and serve the plate.

Wine of choice for this plate was: CHER BLANC a cheap white at $4.99 a bottle (before case discount) from France. It was used in the sauce to deglaze and reduce and it was drunk at the table as part of the meal.

Super supper!! Wine was citrus and crisp with enough acid to handle the tomatoes in the sauce. Nothing here seemed to overpower, it all just blended together.

The wine: Cler' Blanc (NV), vin de table Francais, vin eleve et mis en bouteilles par Sauvion et Fils - Le Cleray-Vallet L. A. France. (Imported by W.J. Deutsch & Sons, Harrison, N.Y.)

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 08-17-2001).]

- Bucko - 08-17-2001

Sounds great. I had KFC because the power is out. Even a generator won't power a KW hungry range.

- lolly mackenzie - 08-20-2001

mrdutton if you like scallops, try pan seared scallops with white wine sabayon....and use your value priced french white in the sabayon sauce.
Whisk the 3 egg yolk in dbl boiler over low simmer with 8 tbsp of your wine. Whisk quickly over the heat until it triples in volume and is light lemon colored.
Whisk in juice of 1/2 lemon. Remove from heat and keep warm.
Quickly sear your scallops over high heat and set aside.
Add 1 tbsp of basil chiffonade or chopped fresh lemon thyme. Sea salt to taste.
Spoon the sauce over the scallop and serve with your wine.
This works really well with crisp and citrus like whites but I have also used this recipe with champagne/ sparkling wine and mussels, using the champagne in the sauce makes it gives the sauce it a lighter and fluffier taste on the palate.
I am so hungry now I think I'll stop and pick up some scallops for dinner tonight.
Sorry about the KFC Bucko - tragic. Hope you get power before the Colonel does permanant artery damage. Although, Sabayon isn't exactly light fare. Oh but what a way to go!

- mrdutton - 08-30-2001

Lolly - the sabayon suggestion sounds just scrumptious!

I shall be trying it this coming weekend! I'll let you know how it turns out!

- Bucko - 08-30-2001

I've had a similar dish and it was terrific. Thanks for the nudge and recipe Lolly.

- mrdutton - 09-01-2001

Well around these parts, unless you grow your own herbs, one is hard pressed to find the right fresh herb for any particular recipe.......

So when it came time to try the sabayon, I was hard pressed to find fresh basil (now if I'd planted my own herb garden that would not have been a problem).

So......

Instead of using fresh basil, I used fresh taragon and it was just wonderful with the zabayon.... er sabayon.....

Anyway, it was just plain delicious. Thank-you for the suggestion!