WineBoard
Maison Deutz Blanc De Noirs 1982 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Champagne/Sparkling Wine (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: Maison Deutz Blanc De Noirs 1982 (/thread-10662.html)

- nedekorg - 12-23-1999

I received the Champagne listed in the subject as a gift about 3 years ago. I'm curious about a few things:
1) It's been kept cold and dark but standing up for most of that time. The cork is wrapped so I'm thinking it has a good chance of still being ok.
2) Just to get a measure of the person who gave it to me, what kind of thought and/or money probably went into purchasing it.
3) Good bottle to start the new year with?

If not, what sparkling or white wine in the would be? I'm thinking one in the $10-20 range and one in the $25-35.

Thanks.

- tomstevenson - 12-23-1999

I must be losing my marbles if this is correct because I do not know of any Deutz Blanc de Noirs. Deutz Blanc de Blancs, of course, but Blanc de Noirs... Deutz Vintage Rose and Cuvee William Deutz Rose are both 100% Pinot Noir, thus technically blancs de noirs, but Deutz does not describe them as that. I've also had various experimental bottlings including a pure Pinot Noir from Ay, but that was almost a quarter of a century ago. Please give more information from the label and I'll do my best to sort out what it is for you. As to the sort of person who would buy Deutz, any Deutz, I would say someone who has a certain amount of taste and knowledge, otherwise they would have purchased something with a more famous name, but less quality or interest. After just three years in dark and cool conditions, you should have no worries as to the condition of this wine, although I need to know the vintage to advise on when best to drink.

[This message has been edited by tomstevenson (edited 12-23-1999).]

- Jerry D Mead - 12-24-1999

Tom...You're on the wrong Continent. Maison Deutz was the now defunct sparkling wine facility near Atascadero, CA (the joint venture with Beringer), and yes Christian R. (I can never spell his last name without looking it up) did make a Blanc de Noirs...my favorite of his wines, but VERY limited.

Back to the original questions...tasting room price was around $30 if I remember correctly. If you are going to have two bubblies it might make sense to begin with a Blanc de Blancs and then move into the richer Blanc de Noirs.

And I would drink the wine soon. It's coming up on its 20th birthday, and even though I remember the wine having the kind of acidity and pH to go the distance, there's no sense pushing it.

[This message has been edited by Wine Curmudgeon (edited 12-24-1999).]

- tomstevenson - 12-30-1999

Rogunenant, Christian Rogunenant. Lovely guy, bloody peculiar accent! Sorry, I completely missed "Maison" - I saw Deutz and Champagne and went into European mode ....

Although I like Christian, I was never fond of the fizz he produced, which was never up to the standard of Deutz Marlborough in New Zealand. I put it down to where he was sourcing his fruit from and the fact that he was happier producing still Pinot Noir.

However, what confuses me here - yep, I'm still confused - is the vintage: 1982. That venture, as I'm sure you know Curmy, was set up in 1985. Perhaps they bought in some mature finished wine and fizzed it up so that they had something on the shelf while their own sparkling wines were slowly maturing. Can you shed any light?