WineBoard
Super Bowl Party - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Super Bowl Party (/thread-1065.html)

- Innkeeper - 01-28-2001

SUPER BOWL MEATBALL SANDWICHES:

ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE:

2 tbl Olive oil
1 lg Vidallia type onion chopped
1 clove (½ tsp) Garlic minced
1 tbl Parsley chopped
1 1 lb 12oz can Ground (chopped) tomatoes
1 6 oz can Tomato paste
½ cup Port wine
1 tsp Lawry seasoned salt/no-salt
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1/2 tsp Sugar or pkt of Stevia or other substitute
1/4 tsp Granulated garlic (garlic powder)
1 Bay leaf
1/2 tsp Dried (1/2 tbl fresh) thyme
1 tsp Dried (1 tbl fresh) basil

Nuke onion in oil. Put in Dutch Oven (large saucepan) with all other ingredients. Bring to boil stirring, reduce to simmer, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring regularly.

MEATBALLS:

3/4 lb Ground veal
3/4 lb Ground pork
1/2 lb Ground beef
1 C Fresh soft bread crumbs
3/4 C Beef stock or bullion
1/2 C Chopped Italian broad leaf parsley
1 tsp Minced garlic
1 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Black pepper
1/4 tsp Granulated garlic (garlic powder)
2 Eggs

Soak the bread crumbs in the stock and add everything else. Mix together well with hands in large bowl, cover with wax paper, and refrigerate at least an hour. Form into 20 meat balls. Brown them ten at a time in a ten inch skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil for each batch. Add to tomato sauce and simmer in sauce thirty additional minutes.

SANDWICHES:

Meatballs in sauce
High quality baguette(s)
Imported Provolone sliced or shaved

When meatballs are done, transfer them and their sauce to a crock pot, and keep warm until ready to serve. Warm up baguette(s) on a rack in a 200 degree oven. Cut into desired serving sizes, fill with as many meatballs as appropriate with accompanying sauce, top with cheese, and run under a broiler until cheese melts. Serve with a nice salad.

BEVERAGES:

Rosso di Montalcino or Shipyard Prelude Special Ale.

- mrdutton - 01-29-2001

SuperBowl Party -

Marinated Venison medallions grilled to a perfect medium rare over charcoal.

Meatballs in Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce.

Smoked Bluefish Mousse (used as a spread/dip)

Gruyere and Parmigiano-Regianno for nibbling

Other assorted munchies and snacks.

1997 Cline Cotes d' Oakley
1997 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
1998 Cuvve de Bord, Coteaux du Languedoc

And 1993 J Sparkling to celebrate the RAVENS WINNING THE SUPER BOWL.

- ddf68 - 01-29-2001

Smoke Salmon w capers and red onion
Tomato and Mushroom Bruschetta

various New Belgium beers

Chicken breasts stuffed with prosciutto and fontina

1987 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Monfortino

Ruby red with a brick/amber rim, nose of dried cherry, cedar, and other unidentifiable aromas. Medium to full bodied in the mouth, cherry, damp earth, tar, cedar a suggestion of tobacco. Fine tannin on the good finish. With time in the glass the wine developed more richness and more powerful cherry flavors.

I had expected more mature flavors given the indifferent quality (I hear) of the vintage. While not youthful, this wine was certainly no old codger, either. I think it may continue to develop for a few more years.

ddf

- Drew - 01-29-2001

SUPERBOWL PARTY

2 hot dogs from 7-11 with all the accompaniments and to wash it down....

Had a wonderful diet Coke with good acidity, and strong cola flavors but with a little spritz, secondary fermentation?

Baltimore cancelled all leave for law enforcement and put us on a 8pm to 4am shift to deal with the looming threat of crazed Raven fans who would torch the city. One drunk was arrested at 11pm for drinking in public, the idiot told the officer to "Get F---ed" in response to being warned about drinking in public. No fires, looting or violence, just horn blowing until 2am. Reporting from bird land.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 01-26-2003

It's that time again! Did I mention, I make my own bread too. The sourdough starter is ready. So it's time to get started. Only question is what wine to wash them down with? So many choices!!! Maybe we'll start with a Bloody Mary.

- Innkeeper - 01-26-2003

Bread is out of the oven. Meat balls and sauce are made and are seeping together in the crock pot. Bring on 6 PM EST.

- joeyz6 - 01-26-2003

Oh MAN, maybe I was making you all jealous with my little daytrip to Chinon, but you guys are killing me right now ... I would love to be back over there just for a few hours, to watch the game and eat one of Carl's meatball sandwiches ...

- winedope1 - 01-26-2003

pan seared duck breast marinated in molasses, oil and garlic with field greens and caramelized walnuts, accompanied by a local wine- Sakonnet's Rhode Island Red. Yum!! WD

- Kcwhippet - 01-26-2003

Made some beef stew (with wine, of course) and a loaf of bead. All ready to go, so now it's time to pick the wine. Haven't decided which one yet.

- winoweenie - 01-26-2003

Mesquite grilled tri-tip, meatballs in marinara, ratatouille turnovers, cougar gold cheddar, and sun-dried tomato/basil freshbaked bread wirh all three Scherrer 99 Zins (Old and Mature, Shale Terrace, and Special Cuvee ). Life is GOOD. WW (Dernit I know Hotsie, but I cooks with the fuel on hand )

- hotwine - 01-26-2003

's OK, WW, mesquite works just fine. I've got all the live oak I could ever want, so that's what I use.

- zenda2 - 01-27-2003

Chicken & sausage gumbo, chicken salad rolled in ham, deviled eggs, "little smokies" sausages wrapped in bacon & broiled. Borsao and plenty of it.

Most fun I've ever had watching someone (besides us) beat the raiders.

- wondersofwine - 01-27-2003

Spinach and artichoke dip with lime flavored tortilla chips. Fried chicken drummettes. Pretzels. Two whisky sours in a tall glass.
Saved the wine for later in the evening (1996 Ecard Savigny Beaune Serpentieres) (not sure of spelling)
Unlike Zenda, I was rooting for the Raiders. I'm one of those strange fans who like both the KC Chiefs and Oakland Raiders. I was hoping for a San Francisco 49ers-Raiders face off in the Super Bowl. And the Raiders have a few former 49ers in Jerry Rice, Romanowski?
Garner? Also a Nebraska connection with Adam Treu and another lineman. (Tampa Bay had a Nebraska connection with Defensive Coordinator Monte Kiffin.) This time the defense ruled--at least for the two and one-half quarters I watched)

- ShortWiner - 01-27-2003

Um, mac and cheese and some leftover Crow Canyon CS . . . was it a special night or something? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 01-27-2003

Golly-Gee there WOW wasn't Romanowski with them Bronkos? WW

- wondersofwine - 01-28-2003

He was, WW. But I thought he did sometime with S.F. too--that's why the question mark. I don't know for sure. And I think Charlie Garner had some time with S.F. S.F. always seems to be letting running backs go and then they do great things with some other team. It gets annoying.

- Bucko - 01-29-2003

Well, I was eating crow, being a Raider's supporter (read that as less a fan of Tampa Bay). I'm still a die-hard Cowboys fan, but they couldn't beat their great-grandmother to the bathroom.....

- Georgie - 02-22-2003

Just made a pot of meat sauce using IK's suggestion of port wine as an addition. What a depth of flavor it it adds to the sauce! Yum!