WineBoard
Cheesecake Wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Cheesecake Wines (/thread-1057.html)

- Sophisto - 06-26-2001

I'm planning a cheesecake and wine party. I don't know anything about wine - so could you make some suggestions about which wines would be appropriate? Also, to make matters more difficult, I'm on a limited budget so could you recommend wines that won't bust the bank?

- Thomas - 06-27-2001

Sorry, but all the wines that come to mind for cheesecake are not cheap, unless you get the California knock-off versions, and then they will be terrible. I assume the cheesecake is traditional and does not include globs of cherry or other berries and syrup on top; in that case, serve coffee.

But if the cake is traditional, sans weird toppings, try Madeira Bual or a wine called Banyuls should do well.

- Innkeeper - 06-27-2001

Good suggestions. Might also consider a late harvest zinfandel. Some of these come in 375 ml bottles, and to best of my knowledge, the Banyuls only come in 750 ml. Both should be available in your area. Dessert wines don't come cheap, because they are harder to make. Plan on spending for a half bottle, that which you would normally spend for a full bottle of table wine.

- cpurvis - 06-27-2001

Foodie, what's wrong w/ a Muscat w/ trad. cheesecake?

Sophisto, you might also try Lustau Pedro Ximenez Sherry from Spain...should be available at a wine shop in your area for about $17. It's thick, sweet, excellent dessert sherry. You can drink it OR pour it on the cheesecake w/ good results.

cp

- Innkeeper - 06-27-2001

CP, red wine goes better with cheese than white. Same goes for dessert cheese.

- Bucko - 06-27-2001

A nice Sherry works well. Banyuls works well. Ridge Essence works well but is impossible to find.

Bucko

- Botafogo - 06-27-2001

Moscato d'Asti is PERFECT: the flavors work and the tiny bubbles lift the heaviness of the cheesecake so you can eat MORE!!! When as where is this affair?

Roberto

- Thomas - 06-28-2001

Admission time--I am not a fan of Moscato, with anything...some of us still have blind spots.
But the sherry possibilities appeal to me, as long as they are Oloroso. Yet, Bual Madeira is toppppsss!

IK, I sell a Banyuls that comes in 500ml, Les Clos de Paulilles--$20.

- Innkeeper - 06-28-2001

Gee, Garnet's has a '97 Casa Blanca Banyuls for $15.99 for a 750 ml.

- Botafogo - 06-28-2001

Foodie, you had better get fitted for a coffin as we call Moscato d'Asti "The Zombie Detector" because, in our experience, if you don't like it you must be already dead!!! (and our future leaders of America at the UCLA Business School call it "the panty dropper"!!!)

Do you dislike french kissing too???

(ducking for cover while covering Winoweenies's role in the dialog, he was just here by the way) Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 06-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 06-28-2001).]

- Thomas - 06-30-2001

IK, but which is best???? And for all you Noo Yawkas lurking: Garnet will always beat my prices, but not one of its staff will neither beat my service nor my steller poisonality.

Roberto, at the risk of being censored, if you have to rely on alcohol--especially Moscato--to get those p to drop...well then, I misjudged you...

As for the kissing: whaddayamean French, I thought it was natural!

- Botafogo - 06-30-2001

Hey, it's not ME, it's the future CEOs at UCLA who need that ajuda com o amor (and probably mix it with Rufies to boot). As to the best, as Woodie Allen once remarked, "Even bad sex is pretty good" and we've almost never met a M d'A (at least one exported) that wasn't pleasant but truly GREAT producers include Marenco, Cascina Fonda, Il Falchetto and more.....

- mrdutton - 07-17-2001

All this sex aside, I though we were talking about chessecake, not beefcake.

Now, what about a late harvest Zin dessert wine with the unadorned cheesecake.

Seems to me that might go fairly well.

IK, you have any thoughts on that combo?

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 07-17-2001).]

- Bucko - 07-17-2001

That is what Ridge Essence is....... only released on select years.

- Innkeeper - 07-18-2001

LHZ was my very first thought back on 6/27.

- mrdutton - 07-18-2001

Well buckle my boot straps, I guess I just got distracted by all the side discussions. Yup you sure did say "late harvest zin".

I thought of that cuz I was looking over my shoulder at that bottle I got from Tobin James.

- winoweenie - 07-18-2001

Biale makes a late harvest Zins' that's gorgeous , BUT 'Spensive. WW

- Sophisto - 07-18-2001

My party was almost as much fun as your responses. Seriously, we got rave reviews. The Muscato D'Asti was perfect. We had some of everything, but that seemed to be the majority winner.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

- Thomas - 07-19-2001

It was perfect with a cheesecake with or without toppings?

- winoweenie - 07-19-2001

Boto, Foodskie never gives up Do He ? WW