WineBoard
Mother's Day - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Mother's Day (/thread-1041.html)

- mrdutton - 05-14-2000

To all the mothers out there, we certainly hope your day is special! Happy Mothers Day!

This afternoons menu consistes of a top of the round marinated in red wine for 4 hours (subsequently discarded) and then marinated in a honey, garlic mixture, with chili-style chutney and sun-dried tomatoes. The beef will be grilled on the 'que outside. Then for the non-beef eater there will be boneless chicken breasts marinated in kraft salad dressing and fresh lime juice. These will also be grilled on the 'que. Veggies include corn, green beans, grilled onions and red bell peppers.

Wine will include a Georges Duboeuf cru Beaujolias and a New Zealand Riesling.

Again, happy Mothers Day to all the Mothers!

- Innkeeper - 05-14-2000

For us that goes double. Taking ture love to the Sail Loft Restaurant overlooking Rockport (ME) Harbor tonight. Even though she is taken out to dinner every Mother's Day, when we get back there will be three or four messages on the phone demanding, "Where were you."

- Thomas - 05-14-2000

Sounds good Dutton--except that the Kraft salad dressing threw me. Why not concoct your own and dispense with the sugars and preservatives that come in commercial dressings?

And do not tell me I have insulted you; I think we milked that one.

Having no children, and being home together this weekend, my wife and I plan on a simple carbonara with a delicate (but not wood beaten) Chardonnay. I could fly down to Virginia if you haven't enough people to finish up the beef.

- mrdutton - 05-14-2000

ROTFLMAO..................!!

Foodie, laziness got to the better side of my judgement. Otherwise I'd have made my own marinade.

I'd love to have you join us, but the way my son-in-law eats, I am not sure that there would be much left.

Have a nice day and enjoy!

- hotwine - 05-14-2000

We smoked a pork loin (3 hours @ 250 deg. over oak) yesterday and prepared garlic mashed potatos, farm-fresh beets & green beans, and the missus' lemon/sour cream pound cake. Took all to Mom's, where we joined her & my sister and served the meal with our standard for pork, Schmitt-Sohne's MSR Kabinett. A truly superb Mothers' Day dinner!

- Innkeeper - 05-14-2000

Well Mother and I just got back from the Sail Loft where we both had their Rack of Lamb in Zinfandel Sauce. What to have with them was a no-brainer, especially since there were no Rhones on the wine card. We had a delightful 1998 Ravenswood, Vinters Blend, California, Zinfandel. Went very well with the lamb. All the while the ambiance was enhanced by the gentle fog rolling in over the fishing and pleasure boats in the harbor.

- mrdutton - 05-14-2000

The 1998 Ravenswood, Vinters Blend, California, Zinfandel is not bad stuff at all!

I've enjoyed three or four bottles in the past couple of months.

- Drew - 05-15-2000

Innkeeper and mrdutton, thanks for the advice on the 1998 Ravenswood vintners blend. I picked up a bottle tonight and prepared grilled chicked, grilled garlic potato strips with, what else? grilled mixed veggies prepared with good balsamic vinegar and Florida "super sweet" corn on the cob. The wine was perfect!

Drew

- hotwine - 05-15-2000

Mrdutton, which cru Beaujolais did you have yesterday? Morgon?

- mrdutton - 05-15-2000

No, I did not have the Morgon.

I drank a 1997 Georges Duboeuf Julienas.

Very nice wine, indeed. Great ruby red color, nice fruit on the nose - raspberry and cherry, sweet on the tip of the tongue and a slight amount of astringency on the back of the tongue with a decent finish.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 05-15-2000).]

- hotwine - 05-16-2000

The Julienas does sound nice. Thought I had a couple of bottles in the cellar, but was mistaken. Will have to look for it locally.