WineBoard
Comparison of two Crianza wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Comparison of two Crianza wines (/thread-10366.html)

- wondersofwine - 05-23-2007

After the Spanish wine tasting last month, I bought one bottle of each of these and three bottles of the Vina Esmeralda blend of Moscatel grape and Gewurztraminer.

I opened the red wines this past week and compared them.
Started with the 2001 Alzania Crianza, Navarra (Navarre), Spain
13.5% alcohol
Deep garnet and amethyst colors. Quite juicy and flavorful. Very appealing. I found a very attractive taste element in it the first evening but couldn't pin down what it was. It had faded or disappeared overnight. Lighter mouthfeel than the Legaris. A hint of blueberry and blackberry in the flavors. From young vines.

2003 Legaris Crianza, Ribera del Duero, Spain
100% Tinta Fina (Tempranillo)
14% alcohol Also young vines and a female winemaker.
Imported by Vinum International, Napa, CA.
Dark purple color with deep crimson on the rim. Similar shades to Alzania Crianza. Nose was not as full-bore as the flavors which exhibit blackberries and a touch of mocha. I first got muddled crushed berry flavors with some earth and prominent chewy tannins but it became more and more attractive as it breathed. Decant or pour 45 minutes before drinking.
Heavier feel than the Alzania. Overall, I prefer the Legaris over the Alzania but the Alzania shone the first night. Nice with Cheshire cheese or probably most cheddar-type cheeses.

- Bucko - 05-24-2007

But after tasting these, did any of them say, "Buy a case!"

As much as I'd like to like Spanish wines, I've found nothing that wanted me to rush out and buy a case. Drinkable? Yes. Case buy? No.

I keep trying though...

- Drew - 05-24-2007

I've bought probably a dozen or so case buys of Spaniards for daily drinkers. Inexpensive but tasty bottles for little $. Now have I bought any for aging, if that's what you mean....no.

Drew

- winoweenie - 05-24-2007

Fer gosh sakes Drewski dobn't you know after all of these years not to pose a questi-ono to herr Buck-Snort that takes reasoning power? SHEESH!!! WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- brappy - 05-24-2007

I have a 6-pack case of the Clos Erasmus '03 to age a bit. But mostly everything else in 3 pack quantities. Spain produces some great aging stuff. One producer under the radar is Rioja Alta which has some great aging wines at a QPR level.

Actually, I'm surprised no one here has any too age???????????

mark

- wondersofwine - 06-01-2007

Just now catching up with this thread having been away to a high school reunion.
I almost never buy anything by the case, Bucko. My usual purchase is one to four bottles and occasionally six of the same wine. I did buy a mixed case of 4 bottles of Heredad de Baroja Rioja Seleccion (basic Tempranillo at great QPR, good for a party wine), 4 bottles of 1995 Baroja Gran Reserva Rioja, and 4 bottles of 1998 Baroja Gran Reserva Rioja. I liked the 1995 the best and may bring a bottle of this to the offline in the Finger Lakes. I agree with Drew that there are some great QPR wines from Spain and with Brappy that some are definitely agers. I haven't had the opportunity to try many Prado Enea (sp?) but know others who collect them for a couple decades or longer.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 06-18-2007).]

- VouvrayHead - 06-02-2007

I don't buy by the case, but if I did, Spain would be heavily represented.
for QPR I love Spanish Monastrell from Jumilla, several basic crianza Riojas and Navarras (ramon bilbao, cosme palacio y hermanos) and Cava is the best cheap bubbly out there if you look for the good ones.
Just last week I had Mas Donis from Montsant(?) wherever that is, for $11.35... I'd buy a bunch of them if I wasn't about to move...
and for aging, ribera del duero is one of my favorite wines. the reservas and gran reservas of alejandro fernandez' pesquera and condado de haza are as good as wine gets in my book, and of course there are tons of great reserva riojas.... muga for one, and others... Priorat is great also...

Overall, Spain is probably my 2nd favorite wine producing country after France. Italy is climbing, though... The old U.S.A. finishes just out of the medals...

Had a good '04 Vacqueyras tonight, by the way... Earthy, spicey... great with a lentil dish of mine. Youthful, though...

- hotwine - 06-02-2007

Gnawin' on the third box of the '01 Palacio de Sada Crianza (40% CS, 40% Merlot, 20% Tempranillo). In the last three years it's become our go-to wine for Mexican food, so we frequently offer it or take it to gatherings for that kind of menu. It's holding just dandy in the cellar.

- hotwine - 06-03-2007

CT inventory showed 21 btls in stock but could only find 2. A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

- winoweenie - 06-03-2007

Memory's the 2nd thin' to go. WW