WineBoard
Nice Basa Rueda - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Nice Basa Rueda (/thread-10360.html)

- Innkeeper - 12-11-2002

2000 Jorge Ordonez, Basa Rueda, ($11). Very nice white with some backbone. Lots a acidiy from the sauvignon blanc in it, but two little know Spanish whites give the pizzazz. Matched lovingly with sauteed chicken breasts in an almond cream sauce.

- Bucko - 12-11-2002

I love some of these inexpensive Spanish whites.......

- joeyz6 - 12-18-2002

That almond cream sauce sounds good ... any chance of getting the recipe, IK?

- Innkeeper - 12-18-2002

This is only a slight variation on my Italian Chicken Breast recipe that was previously posted. I have replaced the mushrooms with almonds and reduced the cooking fat by 25%. Mother loved it; don't think we'll be going back to the rooms anytime soon. You can vary the seasonings anyway you choose.

SAUTEED CHICKEN BREAST IN ALMOND CREAM SAUCE:

Large Chicken breast (split, skinned, & boned)
1/3 - 1/2 C (Handfull) Sliced almonds
3 tbl Butter
3 tbl Olive oil*
Salt
Pepper mill
Granulated garlic
Granulated onion
Dry Italian seasoning
Dry basil
Dry oregano
1/4 C Dry Vermouth
2/3 C Heavy Cream
10" Non-stick skillet or saute pan

Brown almonds over medium heat in one tablespoon each of the butter and OO. While they are browning, season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and granulated onion & garlic. Remove to a small bowl. Meanwhile season chicken on top with salt, pepper, granulated garlic and basil. Over same heat melt remaining butter in OO, and saute chicken top side down for six minutes, seasoning the bottom as the top. Turn and saute six more minutes. Remove chicken to a warm platter. Drain off fat through a fine sieve (*this is more than half total butter & OO), and return sieve contents to pan. Deglaze pan with Vermouth until it becomes a thick syrup. Add almonds and cream to pan, and cook until sauce thickens. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with oregano, and serve. Serves 2.
Note: On my stove the "medium" heat (#5) cooks a little hot, so I cook on #4.

- joeyz6 - 12-20-2002

Thanks for the recipe, IK, I'm going to try that one when I get back from Chicago after break. I'm glad you replaced the mushrooms, cause I don't eat 'em!

- Kcwhippet - 12-20-2002

Great looking recipe, IK! That's definitely one I'll have to do over the holidays. Probably next weekend when some friends come up from Connecticut, so that will give me some time to find the wine (we don't carry it, or anything close in the shop).

- Innkeeper - 12-20-2002

Vermentino works great too.

- Kcwhippet - 12-23-2002

Did your chicken recipe, IK. Judy gave it a double thumbs up and a keeper, so we'll be doing that one again. Never did find the Ordonez, but we had a Martinsancho Rueda downstairs and it went very well. In fact, Judy (the red wine drinker) wants to make sure we have more of these for future consumption.

- Innkeeper - 08-14-2003

Enjoyed one the '01s over the last couple of days with just some light cheese or just quaffing. Very nice wine.