WineBoard
Borsao/Campo De Borja - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Borsao/Campo De Borja (/thread-10318.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Tom 1960 - 11-18-2001

I just picked this one up for 5.99 at a local wine store which also held a wine tasting. This was one of the wines featured and it appealed to me. Has anyone else heard of this and what are your opinions? I'm not good at describing what I'm tasting yet but it seems I'm tasting a hint of licorice amongst the fruity bouquet. I also want to add it's a blend of 75% Garnacha and 25% Tempranillo. 14% alcohol.

[This message has been edited by Tom 1960 (edited 11-18-2001).]

- zenda2 - 11-18-2001

Tom,
Just picked a bottle up midweek, haven't opened it yet. Price is certainly right, and I haven't met with a bad garnacha yet.

- newsguy - 11-19-2001

i had posted on this wine last month under that "Best Buys" category. so excuse the double-post, but since you asked...

dark garnet color. 75 percent grenache, 25 percent tempranillo; tank-fermented and aged. full, sweet flavors of red fruit (black cherries?) and earth, with a touch of dark fruit (currants?). soft tannins and a surprisingly long finish. i liked it, and RP liked it (89). if you see it, try it. i'm thinking you might like it too, especially at the price of $4.99.

- Tom 1960 - 11-19-2001

Good going guys,sorry newsguy I missed that post. I hadn't even thought of purchasing a Spanish Wine until I gave it the taste test the other night. Had it with some ribs tonite and have to say it is was quite enjoyable. A keeper.

- Drew - 07-31-2002

This was the 2000 vintage and I hear that 2001 is even better. Finally found this in my area, tried one and bought a case. Just like the previous posts it's a really good, full bodied, rustic blend of Grenache and Tempranillo that displays sweet berry flavors with earthy and leather notes and, yes, a touch of licorice and a hefty dose of tannins on the finish. 14%Alc/vol. $5.50 btl case price.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 07-31-2002).]

- Innkeeper - 02-21-2003

Picked up a 2001 at the Blue Hill Wine Shop for $6 a couple of weeks ago. Since we were temporarily out of Marietta Old Vine Red, I grabbed this one to go with ham steak, beef & bean bake, and salad. It was wonderful. What a jug of wine for six bucks! The fruit is so powerful that you don't even notice the 14% alcohol. Will be going back for more for sure.

It says it is "Estate Bottled Bodegas Borsao, S.A." It also has the name Jorge Ordonez on the back. I think he is a negotiant, so I don't understand the estate bottling. However for the afore mentioned six bucks, who cares.

- hotwine - 02-21-2003

I'll be serving that this evening at wife's little soiree at her art gallery & frame shop; along with some Kiwi SB, hopefully. Good stuff, but that 14% alkie sure sneaks up on you!

- Auburnwine - 02-21-2003

Hmmmn, Senor Hotwine, you hang out with the art mob, do you?

I used to run the arts council in Lubbock and knew boat loads of Texas and New Mexico artists once upon a time.

Do you know Richard Conn at the Nueva Street Gallery in SA? A good guy.

- Kcwhippet - 02-21-2003

This is one of the easiest sells in our shop. Since we are a VERY small shop, we rarely bring in more than 2 cases of any single wine. However, the boss has been bringing in 5 cases at a time of this one. My wife claims she doesn't like Grenache, but she likes this wine. Goes great with food, and that's the real test.

- hotwine - 02-21-2003

No, I don't hang out with them. Just help the wife with gofer chores. Some of those dudes are really wierd, but most tonight seemed 'bout half-way normal. Dunno the feller you mentioned.

- Tom 1960 - 03-08-2003

I haven't been around in some time and saw an old thread of mine revived. I haven't consumed the Borsao in quite awhile. No question a great value. I'll have to give it another try based on the positive reviews of the 2001.

- quijote - 07-17-2003

I'm trying this wine as I type, and it's very tasty and slightly spicy. In a little bit I'll try this wine with pesto penne tossed with andouille, chicken, shrimp, and zucchini. There's probably something better to match this dish, but I just got back from a long trip, and I'm pretty much gone to sleep already.

- Innkeeper - 07-17-2003

Guess I should have brought this up earlier, but this is a strike while the iron is hot wine world. About three months ago, I got a tip from Pops, and was able to pick up a case for $3.15 per bottle. Even with S&H it came to just under $5 per. Unfortunately, their price is back up to $5.19 or so. Just love this stuff, and will be happy to go back and get it at the ridiculously high price of $6 when my very last bottle, now in my cellar, is gone.

- tandkvd - 07-26-2003

This is the juice that started me on the way to trying different wines. I haven't had it in a while.
It was on the list as well when my wife went to World Market the other day. I have been sipping some tonight. It's still on the top of my QPR list.

I sure hope this wine shipping bill goes through in Raliegh. I would sure like to have access to those kind of deals IK.

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 07-26-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 07-27-2003

That deal was a clearout of the '01s, I now know. Just received a box of the '02 from Pops for $76.05 delivered. That is still a few cents less than the local price with tax and bottle deposit. And it came right to the door. After a week or so rest, will pop one and give a review.

- Innkeeper - 08-07-2003

Finished the last '01 last one with a plateful of leftovers. Really jazzed things up! Now to tackle that box of '02s!

- Innkeeper - 10-01-2003

The '02 is already a smooth easy drinking puppy. Enjoyed one with locally produced kielasa links and spinach last night. Mmmmm good!

- stevebody - 10-07-2003

This winery, which I've LOVED for a long time, is also (I think) the producer of the seductive Vina Borgia, another little pinch-penny gem. They also make another wine, if memory serves, but I can't think of the name right now. All terrific. Those little Spanish gems! I had a bottle of the Torres Sangre de Toro last night and was swoony over it. Also fell back into the Vina Alarba over the weekend, after resisting it for almost six months. One of my regular faves is the Hijos de Antonio Barcelo "Penascal", about $6, which is a startlingly good little blend every vintage.

While I'm on it, several of the members of my wine group here in Seattle have picked up the Vega-Sindoa Red Table Wine as their house red. It's one of the best cheap bottles I've ever tasted, a great little blend of some VERY ripe Tempranillo and Merlot. Stunning stuff.

- Innkeeper - 10-07-2003

We enjoy the Vega-Sindoa Red Table Wine very much too. Tonight it was Borsao/Campo de Borja time again though. Great with broiled beef sausage and spinach.

- Auburnwine - 10-25-2003

Opened some of the 2001 last night. It was really yummy (and quite the bargain at $6), but if I had tasted it absolutely blind, I would have sworn it was a white. The predominant flavor was grapefruit! Had never noticed that in a red before.