WineBoard
Riojas in Carrollton,Georgia - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Riojas in Carrollton,Georgia (/thread-10263.html)

- Ricaz - 09-16-2002

I just moved from Puerto Rico to Carrollton, GA. I'm a wine lover and back home I had a large variety. Down here is all domestic. I was wondering if anyone knew how to get Rioja wines like: Campo Viejo, Montecillo, etc... I tried Kendall Jackson and was not very impressed!

- Innkeeper - 09-16-2002

Hi Ricaz, and welcome to the Wine Board. You are less than an hour from Atlanta; so what is your problem?

- Ricaz - 09-16-2002

I don't have a car, and since I do not know the area I wanted specific locations. Then maybe I can take a cab.....

- Innkeeper - 09-17-2002

Well, we have two active Atlantans on the Board, so hopefully they will give you some specific locations.

- Auburnwine - 09-17-2002

As I recall, there's a big Publix in Carrollton with a decent selection of wines. I've been surprised that they do not seem to have a wine shop in Carrollton, though I haven't looked at wines in any of the liquor stores.

I would suggest that you explore some of the options that are available there before you head by cab to Atlanta. I know they would have some bearable Columbia Crest and Bogle wines. If you do need to go to Atlanta, Tower Liquors on Piedmont is quite satisfactory.

Oh yes, there's a new wine shop in Newnan, just off the Interstate. I've not been there, but have heard about it.

[This message has been edited by Auburnwine (edited 09-17-2002).]

- Ricaz - 09-17-2002

Thanks everyone, I'll head to Publix this weekend and check out the wine selection. Maybe in a couple of weeks then go to Atlanta! I'll keep u posted to see how it turned out.

- dananne - 09-17-2002

Welcome to the Atlanta area!

I live downtown in the Grant Park neighborhood, so I don't get out to your area of the 'burbs often. If you do come in town in search of wine, a couple of suggestions are to go to Ansley Wine Merchants on Monroe in Midtown, Tower on Piedmont, and Sherlock's on Northside Pkwy in Buckhead. In the past few months, between those 3 stores, I've found Artadi, Abadia Retuerta, Javier Ochoa, Bodegas Valderiz, Bodegas Muga, Bodegas Monticello, Remelluri, Castell del Remei, Emilio Moro, Campo Viejo, and many, many others. If you want to know specifics for any of these or others, just let me know and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

- toddabod - 09-19-2002

You would have a better chance of finding unlimited supplies of Budweiser and Miller compared to finding any decent wines in Carrollton. My favorite of the Riojas, is the 94 Bordegas Monticello for $19.99 or so.

- Auburnwine - 09-19-2002

There used to be a budding wine industry in that area, with Hungarians brought in to provide labor and management. There are nearby communities named Tokay and Budapest. Prohibition killed it, though.

Two restaurants downtown have good meals and decent wine lists.